Saturday 7 March 2015

Filipino Purple Yam Cookies


Hopia (Purple Yam Cookies) are a very popular treat in the Philippines


To me they tasted like a patty of pastry crust surrounding a sweet filling, much like a miniature pie. I have never had sweet potato pie, but I imagine it might taste similar to this interesting confection (No offense meant to true aficionados!)


Here in Canada (or at least in my hometown of Prince George, British Columbia) you can only find them frozen so they aren't quite as good. However, they are still quite tasty!


My delightful Filipino girlfriend loves these potato pastries and prefers to eat them straight out of the refrigerator.


My wonderful girlfriend has nostalgic childhood memories of her mother buying Hopia all the time, making sure to keep plenty in stock. There is also a sweet bean (or red bean) variety, but her family have always preferred the Ube (Purple Yam) cookie.

If you are in the mood for trying a new cookie or want a gift to impress your Filipino friends, a pack of tasty Hopia may fit the bill!







No comments:

Post a Comment